Thursday, October 27, 2011

United Way Day of Caring!

This year I was asked to be a part of something in my home town of Billings that was very humbling ---  take part in the
United Way
’s Day of Caring, the largest day of service in the state of Montana. I had met Carol Burton, Chairman of Billings, when I spoke at our local Rotary Club meeting and she arranged for me to be a part of their big day.

The event was held at the Rimrock Auto Arena, on September 14th.  Everywhere you looked was a sea of blue tee-shirts!  I helped greet people as they came in for lunch, talked to them about the Miss Rodeo Montana program and thanked them each for taking time out of their day to help give back to their community.

While I did not speak at this function, I was introduced to the 1400 in attendance and enjoyed lunch with our Yellowstone County Commissioners.  I’ve gotten to know them well over the years as Miss Teen Rodeo Montana and now as Miss Rodeo Montana.

After lunch, my mother and I were able to help with various projects around Billings, starting at Zoo Montana, a place I had never been to in the seven years I have lived here! We took ladies from Autumn Spring Assisted living, for a tour around the zoo, where we viewed bald eagles, and visited Bruno the bear.

We then went back to the Rimrock Auto Arena at MetraPark to help paint the bleachers and preserve the outdoor accommodations at the complex.

It was great to see people from all walks of life helping with the Day of Caring and I was honored to be part of such a wonderful organization and to get more involved in my community!

No comments:

Post a Comment