Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The beginning of my year!

When they said I would “hit the road running”, they sure weren't kidding! I literally have done just that.
Since being crowned, January 16, 2011 I have been busy busy busy! My very first appearance was one week later at the Northern International Livestock Exposition (N.I.L.E) "Stetsons and Stilettos” foundation fund raiser. It was great to be introduced in my hometown and from an organization I have been a part of since I was Miss Teen Rodeo Montana in 2007.
On Friday, January 28th, I headed to Lewistown for the 65th Annual Lewistown Winter Fair which hosts one of the largest Kiddie Rodeos in Montana. Because I arrived a day early I was able to have my first official meeting with Laura Bakker, National Director of Miss Rodeo Montana Inc. Such an awesome lady! While there, I also got to visit with Kate Ruland the 2010 Montana National Director and her beautiful new baby girl Delayne.
 After an afternoon of autographs and visiting vendor booths, I did a quick change then headed to the Eagles Hall where I was scheduled to introduce The Ringling Five at their concert. It was my first time to hear and enjoy the music performed by seven very talented gentlemen who throw in a very comical side. During the concert as part of their act, they pick out an audience member to come up on the stage while they are singing and then have that person dance as a backup dancer! It was a smash hit for everyone at the concert.
After an early breakfast Saturday morning, I headed to the Central Montana Fairgrounds Livestock Pavilion for the “Stick Horse Rodeo”.  I was excited to have Amy Hager, Miss Teen Rodeo Montana 2011 join me. Over 60 kids, ranging in age from 3 to 18 participated in: Prince and Princess Contest, Steer Dogging, Calf Roping, Wild Cow Milking, and Barrel Racing.  Amy and I had a great time, (perhaps even more than the kids) and we truly appreciated the long hours and hard work that each committee member of the Lewistown Winter Fair puts in. I would to take this time and say a special thank you to Mary Keer, coordinator for the “Stick Horse Rodeo”.

Amy and I left Lewistown and drove directly to Billings for the Montana Pro Rodeo Hall and Wall Fame, 6th Annual Cowboy & Cowgirl Reunion and Scholarship Fund Raiser. This year’s theme, “The Year of the Rodeo Clown", afforded us an opportunity to meet some world famous rodeo clowns, bullfighters and numerous rodeo celebrities. Not to forget rodeo royalty, Hanna Heckman the 2011 Miss Montana High School Rodeo joined us to help with various duties during the event. The Montana Pro Rodeo Hall and Wall of Fame fund raiser provides coveted $3,000 college scholarships for twelve eligible Montana high school senior rodeo athletes, as well as a scholarship to the Miss Montana High School Rodeo and to Miss Rodeo Montana.
Overall, the month of January was a very exciting one and I am looking forward to many more experiences and the great memories this wonderful year has in store.

Until next time, I'm Headin' Down the Trail,
Lorissa Harris, MRM 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment