Friday, September 16, 2011

American Legion Rodeo- Augusta!

After driving three hours to Fort Shaw from Chinook, I got a good night’s rest and then headed to Augusta to sign autographs at the very cute western store Latigo and Lace. For those of you who have never attended the American Legion one day rodeo in Augusta, you have really missed out! The number of tourists and spectators at this rodeo is truly amazing!

While at Latigo and Lace, I met Jack Hanna, the well known wildlife expert and Director of the Columbus (Ohio) Zoo.  It was a pleasant surprise to meet such a well known expert who traveled all the way Montana for his vacation.  

It was then off to the 82nd Annual Augusta American Legion rodeo put on by Kesler Championship Rodeo Company. The well-known PRCA Rodeo Announcer Steve Kenyon (one of my favorite rodeo announcers), was there and it was nice to work with a familiar face! He does such an amazing job and also directed great attention to me in the arena and I really appreciated it. While I was in the arena during the Steer Wrestling event, Steve had the entire crowd of 4,000 people say “Hi Lorissa!” it was pretty funny and I enjoyed it.

During the rodeo, I rode Cody, a horse that is very dear to my heart. Sue and Jeff Thompson have been tremendous supporters of the Miss Rodeo Montana organization since I have been involved and I TRULY appreciate all that they do … not only for me but for the MRM organization as a whole. Sue brings me horses whenever I need one and I always know I’ll be safe and taken care of.  This particular horse, Cody, and I go way back to 2007 when I rode him in Helena when I was Miss Teen Rodeo Montana.  It’s always a joy to ride him and I will keep the tradition alive when I ride him again this year at the Last Chance Stampede in Helena!

After an awesome but crazy rodeo, I was off to Missoula to stay with my National Director Laura Bakker.  I am scheduled to tape a radio spot for Noon’s Gas Station … a valued supporter who provides us with a gas card which definitely comes in handy and is very much appreciated.!

I will be at home for a couple days and then will be at the Home of Champions Rodeo in Red Lodge, Montana for the 4th of July!!!

Until next time,
Lorissa Harris
MRM 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment