Friday, September 16, 2011

Bear Paw Round-up

June 23-25 marked the 13th Annual Bear Paw Roundup PRCA Rodeo in Chinook, Montana.   This rodeo is very special to me since I spent fifth grade through freshman year up on the Highline.  I arrived on June 23rd for their Annual Silver Spur dinner and Calcutta where I got to socialize and enjoy all of the festivities.  Merylee Ramberg, one of my very best friends, is from Chinook and her mother Debbie Ramberg is on the rodeo committee.  It is always such a treat for me to go back up to the highline and visit all my childhood friends.

 Each night before the rodeo, I put on a “Kiddie Rodeo” in front of the grandstands, I love putting on kiddie rodeos as they provide a great opportunity to interact with the local folkss and give the kids a little something to do before the rodeo.  It also helps to educate them about the various events involved in the sport of rodeo. Each night at the rodeo, I carried the American flag during the National Anthem. This is always quite an honor and something I really cherish doing.  It still gives me goose bumps every time! I rode “Scooter”, Shane Shwenke’s Montana PRCA team roping header and National Finals Rodeo Finalist. Scooter is a roping horse but got to be a “Queen Horse” for the weekend and I loved riding him, I wanted to take him home!

Following the two great performances at the Bear Paw Roundup PRCA Rodeo, I headed off to Fort Shaw to stay the night with the Thompson’s before an appearance at the Sunday rodeo in Augusta.  A sincere thank you to the Bear Paw rodeo committee in Chinook for the wonderful job they did and for making it one of my favorite rodeos!

Until next time,
Lorissa Harris
MRM 2011


No comments:

Post a Comment